2/29/12

J-drama: Thoughts on 1リットルの涙 (1 Liter of Tears)

The past two weeks I was watching 1リットルの涙 (1 Liter of Tears).
It's my third J-drama I've seen. I always wanted to watch it because everyone raves about it,
but also people say how utterly sad it is and that always deterred me from watching it. 
I finally sat down to watch it and oh my were they all right!
I balled so much in the first episode. 
Once I got to episode four I had to take a break from it. 
When I picked it up again I went through two tissue boxes.
By the end of the series I couldn't help but keep reflecting on the show.


I finished it today, but I will watch the special tomorrow.
I also plan to watch the movie.
The drama touched me so much that I plan to order the English version of the book.
I'll buy the Japanese version afterward but right now I know I can't read it.
The quotes they showed were beautiful use of language.
I want to compare and contrast what was real and what was fictional from the book and drama.


The show has made me aware of our ability to be so mobile but we don't think about it.
The simplest things like typing these words you are reading are so difficult for some.
Every morning when I get out of bed I am aware of the ability to get up.
Before I was too busy thinking on other things as I got up, and never noticed the movement of getting out of bed. I have come to really appreciate every motion I make. 


Also that we all, no matter what disability, can plan our futures.


I think it touched me greatly, of course it's touched many, because I saw what my life might have been like.
When I was a baby I had meningitis. It looked grave. The doctor told my mother that if I pulled through I would most likely loose ability to walk. And would loose either hearing, sight, or ability to speak. Thank God I survived and didn't loose any of these abilities. I was always thankful, but now I am even more thankful. 


I love my ability to sing and communicate verbally in beautiful languages.
I love seeing what others create and God's creation and miracles.
I love hearing music and the sound of different languages. 
I love feeling the fresh air as I walk with my dog.
I am happy I can be independent and do things on my own and help others.


The drama also reminded me just how much I miss written communication.
When I lived in Poland I didn't enjoy reading or writing because I didn't understand.
When I came to the United States I was over joyed that people understood me.
I wrote in my journal everyday. I wrote stories, poems, and lyrics.
I read so many books.
That all ended when I got into high school. (It seems as teens we forget to be great-full)


I want to enjoy all these things again.
This sparked in me today when I was doing my Japanese homework.
It is a complete different experience/feeling when you write on paper instead of on screen. 
I want to enjoy writing in Japanese as much as I do in English,
and I also want to enjoy many many books too.


If you haven't had the chance to watch the drama I highly recommend it.
The Japanese ranking level is 2 by Adshap on Drama Guide.
(Read Ultimate Drama Guide Intro first if you haven't yet)


Have any of you read the Japanese or English version of the book?
Thoughts?
Do share!



3 comments:

  1. I really loved watching 1 Litre of Tears! But the ending was too bittersweet for me. Of course, everyone knows she will die. I've watched a lot of movies like that. It's just the other thing that happened between her and her boyfriend that is too bittersweet.

    I have the Japanese book (have had it for years, copy got too beaten up, and bought a new copy). Unfortunately, I still can't read past a few chapters. There's no furigana, so you would have to look up every word. Still holding onto it, because I know I'll be able to read it one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's also a book that her mother wrote as a memoir. I want to read that too.

      Delete
  2. I've seen 1 Litre of Tears twice I think. I was extremely moved by the girl's story and felt grateful for my sound health. I may watch it again one day but the version that I have doesn't allow me to take away the English subtitles, and time is also an issue...
    I met a Taiwanese girl in Japan who spoke very good Japanese. She said that she was so good because she watched a ton of dramas back home. Dramas are certainly a good way to learn standard Japanese, as opposed to comedy shows etc. Then again, I love Japanese comedy xD
    Mattias

    ReplyDelete