4/10/12

春休みチャレンジ: Results, Thoughts, Future Goals

I know this post is very late!
Better late than never.


This challenge was really enjoyable.
I implemented a new way to learn kanji, 
and I learned some lessons a long the way.


In my progress 1 post I listed tools and resources I thought of using;
YouTube videos, books, games, and blogs.


I decided that videos were not good for this challenge. They are better for listening. Even if a video had subtitles I noticed I ignored them. 


I also didn't like using my video games. I have My Japanese Coach, 
美文字トレーニング, and a new game Rachel gave me. I think Japanese coach is good for grammar and vocabulary building. 美文字トレーニング good for learning stroke order for me right now. The new game made me a bit frustrated.

I have difficulty finding blogs in Japanese that are on topics I'm interested in. I found one that I am excited to start following! It is Japanese blog about many things, but I am only focusing on My Little Pony entries. Since I already know the updates and news in English I can easily jump in. 

The most exciting aspect that I got out of this challenge is that I now have a huge craving to read manga and light novels. Before this challenge I feared jumping into reading books above kid level because I know I won't comprehend what I'm reading. (Like 1リットルの涙) I also thought I shouldn't spend so much money on books I can't read! (Ordering JP books is so expensive T^T)

I've been watching j-dramas and anime lately, and they have made me curious about the written work they're based on. After some searching and hesitation I ordered whole bunch of complete collections of manga and light novels. It was hard on my wallet. I would never spend so much money in one go on any of my hobbies. But I don't feel bad for this. I got books I'm really interested in and some I've been wanting for years. All of them rare and on sale! So it was totally worth it! I will share more about them once the package arrives in May. 

I'm continually adding to my kanji deck and using the radical decks. 
  
The most important lesson that I learned is to be flexible.
I am very hard on myself when I don't accomplish things according to plan.
I always end up putting too much on plate. So I always get discouraged. 
I always feel my best wasn't enough.


Things like school, work, and other responsibility can pile up.
Schedules can become hectic. (My work schedule is not very consistent)
I always feel fatigued. I noticed I tend to get sick almost every other week!
Life happens and I know now it's important to let go and re-plan things.


So even if I couldn't get to a part of the challenge that I told myself I'd do, I didn't drive myself crazy over it. 


So the result? An enjoyable time learning kanji and the world of reading ahead of me!


From here I want to set down my plans for the rest of the year.
I was going to start a challenge right away after this one, but I will postpone till May. It's the end of the semester and I don't want to over do it.
Until then, I will focus on:

  •  reviewing chapters from genki
  •  exploring new and old tools and see what is best for me
  • keep working on kanji and reading
  •  try to write in a journal at least once a week
  • Keep working on immersion
  • Improve my speaking
I won't do these things in a rigid manor. I want to explore and review without a deadline or goal in mind. This will be a preparation for my next challenge.

When May hits I will start a new challenge. The Tofugu 30 days challenge. I bought the e-book when it was on sale. I can't wait to start it! I will also continue to use JALUP as my tool to improve my study methods. I will also be going to Utah for 2 weeks to work as a Nanny for my former Japanese teacher. This will be great opportunity to speak Japanese as much as possible, and immerse myself in the language. 

When I return I will be taking a summer class and continue using the Tofugu e-book. I will also begin reading my new books.

At the moment I am having a difficult decision to make for my fall semester. I am thinking of taking a full-time course-load for school. While also continuing to work part-time. I don't know if I can physically or mentally do it. I also don't know how Japanese would fit in. From my experience in the past my school and Japanese both suffered a lot. My reasoning for going back full-time is so that I can graduate sooner. (I am... very behind).



I plan to go to a Japanese Language School in the summer 2013.


A lot came up going through this challenge. I am still figuring out the best way to go about learning kanji. Learning Japanese is an ongoing process and you have to revamp study methods as your skills improve. It also made me plan ahead. (I live in the present. I can't think so far ahead) Very unexpected from a kanji challenge ?_?


I hope your studies are going well.
頑張ってね。

4 comments:

  1. Hello! First I want to say thank you for your latest message to me! I was anxious to know what you thought of my 'tips'! I've been quite busy lately, and now I'm slightly under the weather, so I haven't had the opportunity to get back to you until now :(

    It's great that you have a craving for Japanese literature. You shouldn't be worried about whether a book will be too hard for you or not. First of all, whether we understand what we are hearing/reading or not, our brain still benefits a lot from being exposed to the language - we learn languages like infants do. The book which I'm currently reading contains certain phrases and verbs which I am unfamiliar with, but I understand the storyline. Actually, if you are able to read a Japanese book and understand it 100 percent, then that book was too easy for you! You should always aim to expose yourself to content which is just above your current level, as that is the most certain means to improve one's Japanese.

    It's good that you're aware of your limits. Sure, it's important to know one's limits and occasionally push oneself beyond them, but overdoing it is almost worse than underdoing it. I was only able to train twice last week at the gym, and currently I'm a bit sick so I can't train, but if I were to train now I would simply hurt myself. In your case, overdoing it would lead to, as you wrote, disappointment and discouragement. Always keep in mind that language learning is a long-term project! It's easy to get irritated at one's seemingly slow process, but that's because the process is meant to be slow, particularly when one gets to an intermediate level.
    If a full-time load at your university actually demands 40 hours of study per week of students, then I wouldn't work if I were you. If you try to juggle 40 hours of study, 10 hours of work and 10 hours of Japanese study a week, you might be able to keep it up for a month but you may not be able to sustain that stressful load.

    Currently I'm studying 'full-time' at uni, but I don't need to study 40 hours a week. Then again, I am also working on my Swedish and Japanese (with all the reading and listening that I do I end up putting in at least 13 hours a week into the latter), so I am not working. From next semester I will be over-loading at uni, so I will not work, simply because I would not be able to handle it. Anyway, if your financial situation were to allow it why not just finish your degree so that you can get a nice job? ^^ Perhaps easier said than done, but still!
    Japanese Language School? :D Will that be in Japan?

    Well, that's all for today! :D

    Mattias

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi!
      Sorry for making you anxious! I hope your feeling better. I've been busy with uni too and just always tired. :(

      I just got one of my books and I've started reading it. Because I don't know what I'm reading I sense my mind glazing over. But I still enjoy making the sounds. I just feel sad that I still don't understand a little kids book. Should that be happening at my level? Either way I wanted to expand my reading library. I'm so antsy to get my package!

      I'm still talking things over with my parents and see what we'll do. Ideally I'd like to stop working and study full time, but I like being able to pay for things myself. I know it will be a heavier burden on them and I can't allow it ><

      Sounds like both of us have a heavy school-load ahead of us! I hope you can succeed. How is your language studies going?
      I want to go to a JP lang school in Japan. :3 Which is another reason why I need to work. @_@

      -Jiseri

      Delete
  2. "I will also be going to Utah for 2 weeks to work as a Nanny for my former Japanese teacher."

    Ahh! That's so exciting! Let me know how it goes. I once babysat for a Japanese-American family. The girl couldn't talk yet, but the family encouraged me to use as much Japanese as possible, and the mother would talk in Japanese with me. Unfortunately, I just got too busy and couldn't watch her, but it was an interesting experience.

    Sorry the game is frustrating (-_-). Don't feel burdened to keep it if you don't like it. I didn't like it, but wanted to see if I could find someone who would appreciate it rather than just leave it in the dust or toss it.

    Last Fall, I didn't have time for my Japanese either. I was extremely busy, with two part-time jobs, full-time school and a volunteer job. Don't let anyone tell you that they think your schedule is no problem and you should be able to study. Everyone has their own threshold level of how much work they can handle. What I recommend is to set up a really good immersive environment that will last throughout the Fall. For instance, even though I didn't have time for an intense study last Fall, I fell in love with a manga series over the summer and brought it to school with me everyday. I read the manga between classes. On those train rides or drives to school, play Japanese music or make audio CDs or mp3s from your favorite dramas or anime. Don't stress about keeping up with Japanese, just let it exist in your daily life, and come back to it when you have more time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was around when her first kid was born. So I also spoke in Japanese to him as much as possible and read kid books to him. It was interesting to see him pick up Japanese, and soon he was farther than me! He got so frustrated with me cause I didn't understand what he was saying anymore. ^^;;

      Thanks. I truly find it irritating when people tell me my schedule is easy. Everyone has their limits. I planned out my fall schedule and I can see areas where I can squeeze in Japanese. :D Yai!

      Delete