2/9/11

Practice on the family

When I started learning Japanese
I didn't have anyone to talk to.
I wondered how I was I suppose to
practice the vocab I was learning?

I thought what better way to practice
than by practicing on my family!
Sure it would annoy them,
but it'd be good practice for me.

It was great because only I would know my
mistakes and could take my time.
So I'd speak first in Japanese.
Then I'd say it in English.

This method helped me a lot.
I learned simple phrases really quick.
Because I was using them in real situations.

For example, When I first started I always confused
「いってきます」、「いってらしゃい」、「ただいま」、and 「おかえり」.
So I would say it to my family. At first I had to always look at my cheat sheet to see if I was saying the right one. My family always asked what I was saying. Soon they got used to it.

Now they are common phrases in my household.
They learned it without wanting to!
Whenever I leave I yell 「いってきます!」
And my mother replies, 「いってらしゃい!」
And vise versa.

When someone returns home I say, 「おかえり」
And they respond, 「ただいま」
And vise versa.

I especially love the phrases because
not saying anything is rude.
And informing in English is awkward or
involves having to have a "good bye conversation".

My mother has learned お休み、お早う、お母さん、and
Many other words because I always practice on her. BlogBooster-The most productive way for mobile blogging. BlogBooster is a multi-service blog editor for iPhone, Android, WebOs and your desktop


The point is to use them in real life situations.
Even now I do this with my family.
It's fun to see them learn the words too.

1 comment:

  1. My mom was kind of annoyed when I started speaking Japanese to her. In my experience, it never worked speaking Japanese to people who aren't interested in learning. Because they don't understand (x_x). I no longer speak to people in Japanese unless they are Japanese, or they are trying to learn too. What I've accomplished from speaking to my mom... she can say どうも, haha. But that's about it. Glad you've had more success!

    ReplyDelete