2/28/13

Manga: Improving Little by Little

In my previous posts I have mentioned that I've started reading manga and have moved from children's books. While I still like using kid books, I felt it was time to try something harder.

I hesitated for a very long time to graduate to manga.
I still am not able to understand sentence by sentence in a children's book, and so I figured I wouldn't understand whats going on in a graphic novel. I would get tired at first after reading a few pages. (I try to read aloud to exercise my mouth muscles) After sometime, I was able to finish a children's book in a few minutes. So I felt it was time to take a step forward.

At first I began reading Saiunkoku. One aspect of reading that I had to get over is to stop worrying about what each word meant. Looking things up would make the progress slow and boring, and take me out of the story. And then I'd never want to read!It felt frustrating and taking the time to read felt painful. But after a few weeks I could I could understand the gist and even some jokes! Instead of feeling frustrated, reading made me feel relaxed. But the story felt a bit overwhelming. So I stopped half-way. 

I finished my first manga, DBZ, and it boosted my confidence. It's an easy read since it's mostly action. After reading it, I went over and started transcribing all the words I didn't know and making an Anki deck. Once the words become familiar, I hope to go back and re-read and see how much I'll comprehend.

Since January I've been reading Hakuouki. I feel very excited to read. Usually I can only read a few pages every sitting.

I reached another accomplishment: I was able to read 32 pages in one sitting! I can see myself slowly progressing. Even if I still don't understand everything I am improving. Slowly but surely.   


No comments:

Post a Comment