3/19/13

Manga: Experience with Hakuoki

After the achievement of reading 35 pages in one sitting, I challenged myself to read everyday without breaking the streak. I wrote my thoughts down after each sitting. I thought it'd be interesting to share my experience with you. 

Day 1:

I read 14 pages. So excited to read but I had to stop.

Day 2:

Only read 5 pages.
But at least I read!
I wanted to keep going back and re-read scenes of my favorite character. (Saito Hajime)

Day 3:

I read 13 pages during my break at work.
For some reason I had difficulty pronouncing the words. 
It might have been because the characters in the scenes had a different speech pattern.

Day 4:

Only read 4 pages.
To be honest I didn't really feel like reading. I was getting bored.

Day 5:

I read 8 pages in the car. Slightly more interesting then the day before, but not as excited. 
Not sure why.

I broke my streak on the 6th day. I wasn't interested anymore, and became busy with school work. Felt a tad disappointed that I didn't last even a week. Every time I picked up the manga I couldn't get myself to resume reading. 


Sometimes you have to give yourself a break if it stops being fun. 


After a while I resumed.

Day 1.1:
Read 14 pages. 
I stuttered a lot. I figured it was because it had been awhile since I read, 
but again, it might have been the character's speech pattern.

Day 1.2
I suddenly felt like reading Saiunkoku instead. (I was re-watching the show)
I read 12 pages. 
I aimed to finish the chapter, but started to fall asleep. 
That's the negative of reading in bed. 
I did understand some stuff though.

Day 1.3
I read 7 pages of Saiunkoku to finish the chapter.
Then I read the same chapter in English to compare how well I understood it.
(I can't do this with Hakuoki)
I understood the plot about 80%, but the other 20% I was WAY off!

Day 1.4
I returned to Hakuoki.
I was running errands and waiting.
It was a new challenge because there was a lot of distractions.
There was the TV with American programs on, people on the phone, etc.
I've never had to read in a loud English environment before,
and focus on Japanese.
I usually read in seclusion. It was hard to focus and understand the manga.
I read 33 pages!
I finished it!
My second manga!

Now I will resume Saiunkoku and finish it.
I need to finish transcribing DBZ before I can do that for Hakuoki. 

What's your experience like trying to read Japanese?

2 comments:

  1. It's exciting to read about your experience reading manga! Do you typically read aloud for English manga too, or is it to practice speaking Japanese? I see the point of reading aloud, but perhaps part of the reason you're getting tired is because you're reading aloud? Maybe sometimes you need to just read for fun, in your head.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the comment Rachel!
      Glad you liked it. I'll read aloud in English sometimes too, since I feel my English is slowly deteriorating. But yes, I read Japanese aloud to practice speaking in Japanese. If I read in my head, I read a lot faster. Aloud helps me practice the muscles and pronunciation since I don't talk much.

      Delete