12/27/10

My Study Method Part 1- Vocab

One of the difficult things when you first start studying language is...
is well figuring out how to study it. Everyone learns differently, and everyone has a method of their own. It can work for awhile and then sometimes you have to tweak it again and again. Till you figure out something that will work. People always say you have to focus on writing, reading, and speaking. But how?


I've had many methods and have always put too much on my plate. I still do. But I learn from what works for me and keep making it better for me. I'm not saying the way I do it is how you should too. This is just simply what works for me. Maybe you can get some ideas or help from seeing my study plan.


I've spread out my study plan for a week. Since I know I tend to desire to do a lot more than I can I cut it up by days. Everyday is something different. Some might say this is bad because you should repeat more often and focus on one thing. I've tried this and end up not  doing it, because I'm curious to learn everything I can.


I'm going to write down each day what I do.
Since today is Monday I focus on Vocabulary.
For this one I do 7 things.
No particular order.
I like to use visual method for this.
For me pictures of the words work best.
I use mainly flash cards and games.
For time it depends on school.
So it's quite short.


1. Quiz 
I go over the words I got wrong on my last quiz. 
I write it over and over. Saying the word as I write. 
First in hiragana, and then in kanji.
Then I write a sentence with that word.
16min,


2. DS Game
I go through a lesson in the game "My Japanese Coach".
It's not the best thing in the world but it is good review for me.
The games they have are also fun. Plus they have difficulty levels.
15min


3. PC Game
My first ever Japanese study product was "Smart Start Japanese".
I love to use it to learn nouns. They have a bingo game that I'm addicted too.
They also have a listen and repeat mode to see how well you pronounce.
15min


4. Kumon Cards
When you start learning a language you're knowledge is like a child.
So why not learn like them?
In Japan they have these big flash cards with a picture and the word on the back.
I love to go through the cards and test myself how well I remember them. 
15min


5. Main Vocab
I have certain vocabulary I'm required to know for class.
All the other vocab I learn is for fun.
For class I use Genki flash cards.
They come with picture of the word and I write the word on the back.
This has helped me a lot to memorize the vocab more easily.
30min


6. JLPT
I go over the words I don't know from the JLPT practice books.
These I write down and say over and over.
These are my second focus vocab since I know I need to know them for 
the next exam.


7. Phrasebook
My friend gave me a point and speak phrasebook for my birthday.
I like to focus on a topic and just read it over and over. 
I make up sentences too. The pictures are fun to look at.
15min


I try to get as many of these done as I can. 
Even if I only do 1 out of the 7 it is better than doing none at all.
I like learning vocab the most so all these things are fun.


And that's the key thing.
Fun.
It has to be fun and not daunting. 


I hope this gave you some ideas how to start studying.
But this is not the only way.


How do you like to study vocab?



No comments:

Post a Comment