12/28/10

My Study Method Part 2- Writing

On Tuesdays I focus on writing. 
There are 10 things I have on my agenda for this.


1. Core Vocabulary
I write the vocab from the Genki chapter that I'm studying.
First I write the word in hiragana/katakana and then in kanji.
I say the word as I write it.
I write the word in one row.
This is a long process and I take breaks every 25min.
I try to get through the whole list from the chapter.


2. Grammar
I then focus on a section of grammar from the chapter.
I make a collum for the grammar and conjugate all the words from the chapter.
If there's not enough verbs then I add some from a previous chapter.
This drills the conjugation till it becomes second nature.


3. Workbook
I do the homework that I've been assigned for the week.
I make sure I write all the words in kanji instead of being lazy 
and just writing it in its hiragana form. 


4. Kanji
I have a separate book I'm focusing kanji on from Genki.
I try to do 1-2 pages of it.
I have other kanji writing books but for now I am focusing on only one.


5. Journal
I try to write an entry in my journal all in Japanese.
This is a long process but seeing a page full of characters that 
I wrote makes me feel accomplishment.
THIS is the best method I know to remember how to write kanji.
Because you're using the kanji in context and writing it often.
Instead of just drills.


6. Video Game
I have a DS game from Japan called "Beautiful Kanji".
The DS pen is even designed like a calligraphy brush.
The game is addicting as it is quite difficult.
The game is very picky of your strokes.
Having something giving me scores motivates me to beat my best record.


7.Mixi
On Mixi there is a journal too.
So I type up what I wrote in my real journal.
Extra practice.


8. Letter
I write replies to my friends in Japan via snail mail.
It's hard but great practice. 
I get a lot of help in this part.
Because there is much I can't express.


9. Textbook
I go over drills from Genki on the grammar I practiced earlier in the day.
I write my answers down and check if I got it right.


10. Review Test
I copy down the sentences from my tests to drill in to sentence structure
and to review what I got wrong. 


I try to get as many of these done as I can. 
Obviously I put a lot of tasks for this day.
So I might not get through it all.Even if I only do 1 out of the 10 it is better than doing none at all.
It's a lot of work but it pays off.


You just have to get it over with.

Learning language can't be all fun and games.
My method for writing practice doesn't feel just right yet.


I hope this gave you some ideas how to start studying.
But this is not the only way.


How do you like to study writing?




No comments:

Post a Comment